Be a part of implementing the exciting new EMBARK Richmond Highway Plan, including new land uses and Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system. The BRT project is already 50% funded, and public investment in the corridor will total more than $1 billion in the next ten years!
The Southeast Fairfax Development Corporation (SFDC) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. The primary function of the SFDC is to promote and foster economic revitalization along the nine-mile corridor of Richmond Highway (U.S. Rt. 1) between the Capital Beltway and Fort Belvoir in Fairfax County, Virginia. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for managing staff, directing current programs and creating new strategies to execute the SFDC mission. The Executive Director must also develop strong relationships with key leaders and organizations relevant to the SFDC mission and be a self-starter who demonstrates innovative hands-on leadership and management skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee development and implementation of short- and long-term strategic plan, as approved by the Board of Directors.
- Manage SFDC budget and finances, including both County grant and private fund raising.
- Hire and manage staff, including conducting performance appraisals.
- Monitor organizational performance measures and adjust when necessary.
- Participate in SFDC committees and assist committee chairs with monthly meetings.
- Oversee monthly Supervisor’s and county reports, along with newsletters, press releases, email contacts, and other written products.
- Report to SFDC Executive Committee as necessary.
- Oversee ongoing maintenance and improvements to the SFDC website.
- Develop alliances with county officials, organizations and others who can assist with executing the SFDC mission.
- Identify and implement marketing strategies to attract targeted business prospects to Richmond Highway.
- Outreach to current property owners and developers and determine needs.
- Engage media and respond to media inquiries.
- Promote Richmond Highway as a place to live, work and play.
- Direct and manage the publication of statistical and other information to assist business executives in making relocation and expansion decisions.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the area’s economy and impact of future business trends and government regulations.
- Keep current on market data that could affect projects along Richmond Highway.
- Understand county incentives for development within Revitalization Districts.
- Initiate prospective developers and respond to inquiries in a timely manner.
- Maintain a knowledge base of land and building lease opportunities and purchases to provide to brokers, developers, and prospects.
- Manage a Business Retention and Expansion (BRE) plan for the corridor.
Community Planning and Outreach
- Plan and execute summits and educational seminars.
- Monitor and participate in planning processes that affect Richmond Highway.
- Maintain contact with Richmond Highway businesses and develop new relationships.
- Work with staff, volunteers, media and residents to educate the community and region on the SFDC mission and the benefits of economic development and revitalization.
- Represent SFDC within a range of community and business groups.
- Define communication needs, audiences and outreach methods.
- Develop a close working relationship with property owners, developers and commercial real estate professionals.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in urban planning, public administration, business administration or similar field (advanced degree preferred).
- Minimum five years professional experience, preferably with a non-profit group, revitalization organization or marketing entity. Previous management role is desired.
- Ability to hire, manage, coach and counsel personnel.
- Experience in working with a Board of Directors desired.
- Ability to work with many stakeholders from public and private sectors.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of economic development, and of planning and zoning processes.
- Strong communication and decision-making skills.
- Proficiency in computer programs such as Microsoft Office and real estate software.
- Flexibility in work schedule, with the ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Salary & Benefits:
- Salary: Negotiable to $90,000
- Health Insurance: UHC Choice Plus (employee coverage paid)
To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com