COMMUNITY OPEN HOUSE – APRIL 5
An open house will be held in the school’s cafeteria on Thursday, April 5, 2018, from 7 to 9 p.m. Mount District Supervisor Dan Storck, county staff and The Alexander Company and Elm Street Development will discuss the overall vision and process for the redevelopment master planning. Community attendance and input is encouraged. The Original Mount Vernon High School is located at 8333 Richmond Hwy, Alexandria, Va.
Fairfax County is creating a master development plan for the combined property at the Original Mount Vernon High School campus located at 8333 Richmond Highway and the George Washington Recreation Center located at 8426 Old Mount Vernon Road.
The county has a unique opportunity to redevelop the historic school and overall 42-acre campus. The master development plan will proscribe steps to transform the site, creating multi-generational, vibrant community spaces for use by a mix of public, private, residential, educational, recreational, and non-profit uses.
Pedestrian connections to a future bus rapid transit station, one of nine stations planned along Richmond Highway from the Huntington Metro Station to Fort Belvoir, will be included. The redevelopment supports the county’s strategic plan to grow and diversify the economy.
The master development plan will consider provision of:
- Public and private uses and spaces
- Housing for a broad range of age and income levels
- Multimodal access connecting the site to the larger community
- High-quality building and site design complementing the historic nature of the site
- Open spaces for active and passive recreation and preservation of natural resources
- Non-profit and incubation spaces
- Educational facilities and opportunities, public and/or private
- Complementing, but not imitating, the services provided at the South County Government Center
- Connecting local employment referral sources, and providing opportunities to small/local businesses
- Adaptive reuse of the historic structure
- Coordinated and integrated phasing of developmentClick here to learn more about the OMVHS redevelopment project.